Matthew Hall BSc(Hons), MBChB, FRCS(Trauma & Orthopaedics)
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Yeovil District Hospital
Matthew Hall was appointed at Yeovil Hospital in 2013 as a specialist hip and knee surgeon with an interest in trauma. He gained an Honors Degree in Physiology from the University of Southampton and then went on to complete his medical degree at the University of Aberdeen. Matthew’s postgraduate Orthopaedic training was in the South West Peninsula region where he trained in the internationally renowned Exeter Hip Unit as well as the Exeter Knee Reconstruction Unit. His fellowship training was in Australia for a year working in Melbourne and Perth gaining specialist experience in all aspects of hip and knee replacement surgery as well as keyhole surgery of the knee. He undertook further specialist training in Plymouth developing expert knowledge in computer navigation surgery around the knee.
Matthew’s practice involves both primary and revision hip and knee replacements, keyhole surgery of the knee and has an interest in trauma care. He forms part of the complex knee team at Yeovil Hospital that undertake all the revision and complex knee cases. He has an active interest in research and is the primary investigator for both national and international studies that Yeovil Hospital are involved in.
Matthew submits data from all his joint replacements to the National Joint Registry (NJR) and Private Healthcare Information Network, National Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs).
Matthew has a patient centered philosophy and strives to deliver a personal individualized approach to all aspects of your care.
Current NHS position
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon Yeovil District Hospital
- Arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery of the knee
- Total Hip Replacement (THR)
- Revision Total Hip Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
- Revision Total Knee Replacement
Mr. Hall is primary investigator at Yeovil Hospital of the following multi-centre trials
- HemiSPAIRE trial looking at a new approach to the hip for hip fracture patients (Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital – NIHR funded)
- ART trial – looking at rehabilitation following ankle fracture
- ASCRIBED study – looking at delirium following surgery in hip fracture patients
- HEALTH study – looking at total vs partial joint replacement in hip fracture patients (Canada)
Current Positions Yeovil Hospital
- Clinical Director Kingston Wing Private Unit
- Lead for Orthopaedic Trauma
- Lead for Fractured Neck of Femur Care (National Hip Fracture Database)
- Orthopaedic Procurement Lead
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Hip Society
Mr Hall has admitting rights at both The Kingston Wing Private Unit at Yeovil Hospital and The BMI Winterbourne in Dorchester.